Thursday, January 2, 2014

Sisters Red by: Jackson Pearce

Sisters Red by: Jackson Pearce
(Fairytale Retellings #1)

Edition: Paperback
Pages: 342
Published: April 5th, 2011
Publisher: Little Brown Books

Purchase: Amazon | Bookdepository

Goodreads Synopsis: Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead. 

Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?


My Review: 
I'm going to start off saying that the cover of this book is so pretty.  I love how you can see the two sisters, Scarlet and Rosie, and underneath see the Fenris that they fight against.

This book is about two sisters who fight against wolves that threaten the lives of humans among them (this is a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood).  I thought that the whole concept of how the Fenris's stayed among the people in their small town, and how they recruited each other was an awesome plus to this book.  It actually made you want to know what was going to happen next and who they were going to go after.  At times though, the Fenris's were quite frightening because of the manipulation they used over people in order to hide who they truly were, until it was too late...
Scarlet was my favorite character in this book because she was so brave and no matter what dangers stared down at her, she became so selfless in order to save her sister and the other individuals of their town.  Although Scarlet was my favorite character she got on my nerves a lot because she was so absorbed in her fighting that she let a good thing slip away from her. I won't say what that was because I don't want to spoil the book. Silas was a character that I thought I would fall in love with (not literally obviously!) but the further I got in the story the more and more I disliked him SO much. I just hated what he did to Scarlet it made me feel so bad for her but then I couldn't really blame him because Scarlet was so wrapped up in her own issues.  But he didn't have to do what he did with someone that was so close to Scarlet. It really hurt my feelings. The last character that I am going to talk about is Rosie, Scarlet's sister.  I liked Rosie in the beginning of this book but once she got involved with her love interest she changed. Once again I can't blame her because I understand that she needed to have something more than just fighting Fenris's.  So with that being said, towards the end of the book I began to like Rosie more than I had in the beginning. Overall, I think this is a very enjoyable read that will get your feelings wrapped up with each character.

Cons:
The Cons I had for this wasn't many but I will get straight to the point and state what I disliked about this book.  I had trouble getting into this book because it was very slow paced at times, and then there were moments it picked back up, then became slow paced again.  The next con was how oblivious Scarlet seemed to the rest of the world. It would make me mad at times because I wanted her to have a good life as well and be able to continue her love of fighting.  But I guess that would be asking too much.  Lastly, I just didn't like the relationship that formed (especially with the huge age gap) it just didn't seemed natural to me.

Final Verdict: 4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment