Monday, December 16, 2013

Dark Inside by: Jeyn Roberts

Dark Inside by: Jeyn Roberts

Edition: ARC
Pages: 352
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Published: September 4th, 2012 (First published May 24th, 2011)

Purchase: Amazon | Book Depository

Goodreads Synopsis: Since the beginning of mankind, civilizations have fallen: the Romans, the Greeks, the Aztecs...and now us. Huge earthquakes rock the world. Cities are destroyed. But something even more awful is happening: An ancient evil has been unleashed, and it's turning everyday people into hunters, killers, and crazies. This is the world Mason, Aries, Clementine, and Michael are living in--or rather, trying to survive. Each is fleeing unspeakable horror, from murderous chaos to brutal natural disasters, and each is traveling the same road in a world gone mad. Amid the throes of the apocalypse and clinging to love and meaning wherever it can be found, these four teens are on a journey into the heart of darkness--and to find each other and a place of safety.
My Review:
It took me a few pages to get fully into this story.  I think this was because nothing jaw dropping happened (within the first few pages), although there were a few weird events that happened.  As the story develops you can see the start of a very weird apocalypse springing into action.  This story was very different from others that I have read.  Mainly because this apocalypse turned people into "monsters" (not zombies), but people who went to crazy extremes to bring harm to others.  So many people were murdered in very brutal ways. I literally felt frightened for these characters.  I couldn't begin to imagine having to live a life were you are in constant fear of someone killing you for no apparent reason (dead bodies hanging from trees...).  Also the thought of having to sneak around and go unseen or else...  VERY VERY VERY frightening if you ask me.
Somethings I loved throughout this book was Aeries demeanor.  She was very strong and seemed to hold it together when it was most needed.  I also loved Daniel. Although, rather strange and secretive he brought a goodness to the story line.  I hope to find out more about him because there are a lot of unanswered questions I would like to know the answer to.  I also really liked Mason because he had it rough from the beginning and was willing to put himself in harms way in order to protect strangers.  And for that he is very brave.  Overall, I really did enjoy this book.  Once I got through the beginning my heart was beating so fast with every turn of the page.  I am so excited to see what happens next in the sequel Rage Within, and I am sure I will read that very soon.
CONS:  I only have a few cons.  The cons I found while reading this book is how the chapters were set up.  It goes back and forth between a few different characters who are experiencing different situations, so it is almost confusing to understand what each character is going through.  The more you read through it the easier it becomes.  The last con I have pertains to Daniel who just disappears and reappears at the most random moments.  He lies so much and I just can't understand why he won't tell the truth about himself, or what he does when he is away. He is so mysteries I was hoping to learn way more from him, but I guess I will have to wait and see what the sequel brings to the table.

Final Verdict: 4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment