Monday, December 16, 2013

Forbidden by: Tabitha Suzuma

Forbidden by: Tabitha Suzuma

Edition: Hardcover
Pages: 454
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Published: June 28th, 2011 (First published February 15th, 2007)

Purchase: Amazon | Book Depository

Goodreads Synopsis: Seventeen-year-old Lochan and sixteen-year-old Maya have always felt more like friends than siblings. Together they have stepped in for their alcoholic, wayward mother to take care of their three younger siblings. As defacto parents to the little ones, Lochan and Maya have had to grow up fast. And the stress of their lives--and the way they understand each other so completely--has also also brought them closer than two siblings would ordinarily be. So close, in fact, that they have fallen in love. Their clandestine romance quickly blooms into deep, desperate love. They know their relationship is wrong and cannot possibly continue. And yet, they cannot stop what feels so incredibly right. As the novel careens toward an explosive and shocking finale, only one thing is certain: a love this devastating has no happy ending.
My Review:
I am going to start off by saying that it took a lot of convincing within myself to want to pick this book up.  I have had this book setting on my bookshelf for over a year truly scared of what the story would entail.  After all this book is about incest, between a brother and a sister.
This book is by far one of the most thought provoking books I have read this year.  Even now that I sit back and think over the events that occurred in this book, I can't help but feel a sadness that seems to never go away. Honestly, I thought I would be grossed out but in fact it was just the opposite.  I found myself rooting for Lochan and Maya throughout the whole book.
Lochan....poor Lochan I feel so bad for him in more ways than I can begin to describe.  The burden of taking care of his family fallen on his shoulders, as well as Maya's to keep the social workers at bay.  He was so unhappy for a long time and then when he finally got to a better place everything came crashing down.  The events through out this book did not prepare me for the madness that took place at the end.  I was truly left heartbroken.  I don't know how Tabitha Suzuma was able to make this touchy subject so moving, but she executed it amazingly.

Final Verdict: 5 Stars ---> A Must Read! 

No comments:

Post a Comment