Monday, March 6, 2017

Carry On by: Rainbow Rowell

Carry On by: Rainbow Rowell

Edition: Hardback
Pages: 522
Published: October 6th, 2015
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin

Purchase: Amazon | Bookdepository

Goodreads Synopsis: Simon Snow is the worst chosen one who’s ever been chosen.

That’s what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he’s probably right.

Half the time, Simon can’t even make his wand work, and the other half, he sets something on fire. His mentor’s avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there’s a magic-eating monster running around wearing Simon’s face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here—it’s their last year at the Watford School of Magicks, and Simon’s infuriating nemesis didn’t even bother to show up.

Carry On is a ghost story, a love story, a mystery and a melodrama. It has just as much kissing and talking as you’d expect from a Rainbow Rowell story—but far, far more monsters.
 

My Thoughts:  It is no secret that I am not much of a fan of Rainbow Rowell's novels.  Personally I feel like she is a great writer and creates very unique books, but I just feel that it takes too long for anything interesting to happen, and when it finally does I have almost finished reading the book.

Carry On follows Simon Snow, who is seen as the "Chosen One" and his schoolmates through their last year at the Watford School of Magicks. Through the course of this school Simon not only is able to control his magic but he also finds out who he truly is meant to be...in more ways than one.  My main issue with this novel is that the first half of the book was so boring.  Literally, nothing of importance happened that made me want to stick it out and continue reading.  So, I put this book down for a few weeks, and when I got motivated to read again I finally picked this book back up again.  I still was having a tough time getting through this book until Baz, Simon's enemy, admitted his true feelings for one of the characters.  And I can tell you for that reason alone, I ended up enjoying this book more than I thought I would.

I can't say that I would recommend this book because I feel that it went on longer than it really needed to, and this book is quite long.  Also, I didn't like the fact that Rainbow Rowell never answered or went in to detail of very important moments/facts that happened in the characters lives.  For instance, why wasn't Simon's Snows parents brought up for Simon and the others to know?  The readers have this knowledge, but as far as the characters they never knew this information.  Once the story did wrap up, I felt that it was rushed and some things happened way too conveniently.  There was one scene, where Baz attended a party and did something that caught everyone's attention (I'm sparing you the details so not to spoil the book) and that technically wouldn't be accept but it didn't cause any questions or disturbance, for lack of a better word.

In the end, I just wished that this book was better written and with that I feel like I would have possibly enjoyed this book more than I did.  And although, I don't care for Rainbow Rowell's book I will finish what I've started and read all of her books.

Final Verdict: 3 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment